1) Pay off BBT
2) Open and fully fund two Roth IRAs
3) FFEF of $12,000
1) Refinishing the wood floors on the first floor of our house
2) Installing wood floors in the upstairs bedrooms ($2k, diy)
3) Dormering out the upstairs of our cape cod to make walk-in closets for each bedroom before our 23 yo house needs a new roof (diy)
4) Refacing kitchen cabinets and painting them (dh would make new doors himself)
5) Replacing falling apart dining table/chairs
6) Attending FPU with dh in an attempt to win him over to DR
7) Attacking the mortgage. I feel shackled by our $1200/month house payment, and it is a constant reminder of our stupid tax of refinancing and borrowing wildly against our equity. After 23 years, we owe $185k on our $92k house. Grrrr.
Well, it's been a year and the list got a little shorter! Dormering out the upstairs to add walk-in closets is on the radar, as dh informs me we need a roof. We lost shingles this month during some high winds. I've never been so happy to need a roof. It's going to make all the difference in the storage space in our house, and be great for resale someday. Then it makes sense to replace the flooring in the two upstairs bedrooms after that construction is done. I love being married to Tim the Tool Man who can make all my remodeling dreams come true.
Our cabinets are painted and my kitchen looks so different! In order to finish the kitchen, we need about $2k, which I think could happen in 2017 too. Here are my goals for 2017:
1) Fully fund two ROTH IRAs
2) Walk-in closets/roof/flooring for upstairs
3) Finish kitchen, including table and chairs
4) Put $80k on mortgage when estate settles in spring, then pay down $2k/month which should make us mortgage-free in 3 years!