2015 goals & how we did:
1. Keep current investment levels. 401k will automatically adjust up 1% in May. I think we've hit our sweet spot, budget can't take any more investing unless there's a raise. There was a raise -- it just happened last pay period, so it will really show itself in 2016 in our investing. I'm proud of us -- this year we've put more in retirement than ever before.
2. Build my inventory both to supply work to the gallery, but also to prepare for a big show next December. (Aiming to earn $2500 this year as a minimum, just to throw a number out there.) I ended up only selling about $75 worth of stuff, made another $90 on sewing lessons. So the sewing for profit was a huge fail this year. I did start back up at my other job, a little bit, and made around $4000 doing that. So -- I did make some self employment income this year after all. Success?
3. Read at least 50 (free) books. (This was the goal for 2014 too, and I'm in the middle of my 64th book so far.) I hit my 50! Goal accomplished. I'm in the middle of #51, so exceeded my goal. This was do-able.
4. Pay down $15000 in mortgage principal, bringing total owed by the end of the year to below $50k. (Reward will be new countertops in January 2016) We are so, so, so close on this, but since we had a dishwasher go out, finally got the hospital bill & a few other things (ahem,Christmas), we aren't making this goal until the end of January. I was very close to tapping savings to reach the goal, but saw no point in that.
5. No net worth goal this year, just lower spending so we can keep investing. Continue to shop around for good deals & discounts (cable, insurance, etc), keep an eye on the grocery spending, reduce energy usage, etc. Our car insurance went way down, groceries about the same, energy usage has been better than last year.
Over all, if we hadn't had the unexpected ER visit & hospital stay in September, we would have met the mortgage goal. As it is, we invested so much in retirement - more than ever - and I think that was a good place to put money. We had a good financial year, although not seeing much in improvement of net worth due to the market fluctuations, but did still see some net worth improvement thanks to principal pay down - and buying low (and will for sure see gains when the market is back in the 18000s).
Now I'm going to write my 2016 post and get it out there for accountability.