From Friday 7/24/15:
I got back from 2 weeks in Panama late Monday - complete with the worst "heat rash" my dr has ever seen and a sprained ankle that I did in the Panama City airport on the way home. I babysat for 10 hours yesterday, so still getting back into my home routine.
Time to do a meal plan and figure out what I need from the grocery store - which led to me doing a freezer inventory
Bacon 1 (about 1/2 lb)
Beef sausage 1 lb (was 2 but put one in fridge to cook)
Black Forest Ham 3/4 # deli meat (for chef salad?)
Chicken - rotiss breast 1 from right before I left town
Chicken breast raw 1 pkg
Chicken breast? Cooked 1 pkg
Chicken - mystery? 1 pkg - might be cooked w/ BBQ??
Chicken thighs 1 pkg
Chicken - whole 1
Fish sticks 6 meals
Ground beef - cooked 1
Ground beef - raw 8
Ground beef - maybe 2 or might be stew meat?
Ham pieces 1 baggie (all ham is in baggies - 6 - 8 oz)
Ham hunks 6 baggies
Ham slices 12 baggies (was 13 but put one in fridge to use)
Pork chops - boneless 2 chops
Salmon 10 fillets
Tortillas 1 partial pkg from right before I left
Mushroom ravioli 1 pkg
Grated cheese 1 small container
Marshmallows 1 partial pkg really old
Nuts - mixed 1 food saver bag
Pecans 1 food saver bag
Waffles 3 boxes of 6 each for when I run out of bread for breakfast
Flour - whole wheat 1 bag - ?? below
Flour - white partial 1 bag
Wheat gluten 1 box - ?? below
Butter - 1 lb (was 2, but opened last stick in fridge today so 1 lb went to fridge)
Broc in cheese sauce 1 really old
Onions - partial 2
Peas - partial 2
Peas 1 bag
Bell Peppers - partial 1
Corn 1 bag
Strawberries 2 pkg
Cherries 4# 1
Ice cream sandwiches 2 new this week
Angel food cake 1 about 2/3 cake from before I left
Pecan pie 4 or 5 slices from a few months ago
Chicken pot pies 4
Alfredo chicken 1 pkg = 2 meals
Eggplant parmesan 1
Amy's vegetable lasagna 2 really old
1) I took two pkgs of blackberries out of the freezer yesterday to make cobbler. Both were new unopened bags, but one only had half of the amount it should have had. Then after completing the inventory, I looked in the pantry to see if I had elbow macaroni for the beef sausage casserole - 2 bags that say 1#, but one bag has less than 4 oz in it. I looked at both ends and the seam and everywhere to be sure nothing ate some, but the bag looks good. Twice this week - items under the amount they should have. I don't remember this ever happening before . . .
2) 4# bag of organic pitted cherries - probably from last summer when I found out I like cherries. I had forgotten until today that there are pitted already. I've been knowing I need to do something with them, but . . . so, now I can open the bag and take some out to see how they are raw after defrosting. I LOVE cherry pie / cobbler, so might have some baking in my future if anyone has a recipe that they really like and isn't too hard.
3) salmon - ate that once this week already. I didn't realize I had so many, but it should be about perfect to use up before I get more. I ordered from Zaycon for the first time and have 25# coming in October. Two friends have expressed interest in buying some from me, but not sure how much.
4) Strawberries are old and (I'm sure based on history) have some frostbite. I'm not a huge fan of cooked strawberries. I bought them to put in smoothies so will try that. Hopefully they taste OK there.
5) I don't eat a lot of desserts, but enjoy them - need to eat the pie and get strawberries to finish the angel food cake (or eat some plain)
Plan of action:
1) need to buy potatoes and make potatoes au gratin w/ ham
2) making a casserole with the beef sausage - some of that will go back in freezer
3) need to buy veggies like broccoli, etc and / or salad ingredients
4) I do NOT need to buy a rotisserie chicken when I go to CostCo today!
5) I only have 3 apples - need to buy fruit (or eat a lot of cherries)
Then on Saturday:
Added to freezer, one bag of broccoli which I will eat this week and 2 frozen pizzas from Aldi's. I've heard good things about them, so got the chicken alfredo to try. I got a phone call about that time and then later didn't see the pizza in my basket so thought I put it back and got another one. When I was checking out, I found the missing ones under the flexible cutting mats. I wasn't going to go back or make them put it away, so I got two of them.
One of the two pizzas was mostly eaten because I didn't start making casserole soon enough. I didn't like it. I have two pieces for a friend to try. If she likes it, I'll give her the other pizza. Otherwise, I will try out the Aldi return policy.
angel food cake is all gone - w/ strawberries last night, before breakfast and this afternoon; the last piece just eaten plain.
One ice cream sandwich eaten today.
Added to the freezer - a meatloaf pan and a 1 qt round dish of sausage casserole (from the pound of beef sausage that I didn't include in the inventory because I put it in the fridge). Yes, the freezer is getting fuller . . .
One of my meatloaf pans is missing! I know I had a clear glass one before I bought the two blue glass ones. Didn't need it as the recipe made exactly the two meatloaf pans and the one qt dish, but . . .
One meatloaf pan just finished cooking for dinner tonight and a meal on Tuesday.
I decided to put the two frozen dishes in foodsaver bags instead of layers of foil. The round pyrex dish has a lid which I put on, then put in a gallon bag and did the foodsaver thing. The meatloaf pan was wrapped in one layer of foil and I custom made a bag for it. When I sucked the air out, it pulled the foil down into the pan and then popped the foil